Thursday, December 10, 2009

Should I change my kinders class this late in the school year?

My son is viewed by his teacher as the problem child in her class. We have had conferences but she doesn't seem to get it that one child is not the cause of all her classroom disorder. School is out on June 16, there's only 5-6 weeks left of school, but I want to request that he be changed to another teacher who is a true kinder teacher and not an ex-engineer with unrealistic views of how children should behave. My son wants to change, as a matter of fact he has been telling me all along that his teacher doesn't like him. I do notice that he has not learned much this year because his teacher ignores him when it's time to work, yet, pays close attention to him when he's misbehaving. What would be the pro's and con's of changing him this late in the year? I think it would help him regain his joy of school and the learning process, and, his feelings of being treated unfairly by his teacher will diminish. Is there anything I'm not seeing?



Should I change my kinders class this late in the school year?ballet theater



If you ask for the change, it's important that you don't attack or criticize the teacher, because that may raise the hackles of the school administration. Just say that you are concerned about whether this year has been a good "fit" for your child, and if possible you would like a chance to see how he does with a different teacher so you can get another prospective on his behavior in school and whether there are issues you need to address with your son. This would show that you are willing to take responsibility for whatever problems there are with your son's behavior. (And you have to be prepared to learn that some of the problem is your son, because usually these situations do have two sides.) Schools respond better to parents when they feel the parent is trying to collaborate with the school to find a solution to a problem. That said, the school may not be willing to make this change so late in the school year, in which case you will have to deal with what you have but be prepared to look carefully at his classroom assignment for next year to make sure it's a better fit. Make sure to work with him over the summer to keep up the skills he has learned so that he can start the next school year with confidence.



Should I change my kinders class this late in the school year?chicago theater opera theater



Change him. Immediately. If you've tried talking with the teacher to no avail, then only good will come from you making the change.
i wouldn't change anything. ask for someone to sit in on the class to find out what's really going on and then go from there.
well you could change him. it would show that you listen to him and take an active part in his education. But also is there an underlying reason he does not behave well in class for the teacher?



can you go to the principal and see if their is a solution? and ask the class be audited and the teacher evaluated. The risk side is will this lead your child to believe that he can behave in any manner he cares to? has he heard you downgrade the teacher and make negative comments? have you given him the impression that undermines the teachers authority? If you have more than 3 weeks left change him if they will let you. Stress to your son that he has responsibilities as a student to behave, follow directions, work hard and so on. work with him a lot at home this summer with reading and sums and sentence writting.
I would change. The school year isn't over yet and he still has time to learn. My daughter had a 1st grade teacher who had been teaching for over 30 yrs.It seemed like she forgot that she was still teaching 7 yr olds. She was always quick to point out mistakes, but not to reward good effort. I was so glad when that yr was over! Do not let this teacher make you feel like a bad mother or that your child is out of control. If he says that the teacher doesn't like him, than he probably is feeling very insecure in the classroom and the teacher is not presenting herself as she should to these children. Talk with other parents and see if they have the same situations. I thought my daughter was always being "picked on" by her 1st grade teacher, but come to find out, some other parents were going through the same thing.



I don't know about the con's of changing him this late in the year. But the pro's would be that he would be in a better learning environment and have a teacher who helps him with his learning needs. Its important for him to have a positive experience early on in school. He might be worried when next school yr comes around.



Good Luck. Don't doubt yourself and go with your instincts!
Hi



I am sorry to hear of these sad times for your son.



I am a parent Governor at the School where 2 of my children attend and have parents asking the same thing to me.



I hope you are in the UK but it sounds like your from USA, in which case it might be harder. By that I mean we have a fantastic free scheme here called 'parent link', and they will go with you and 100% on your side to enlist help, for these poor unrealistic teachers (God knows how some of them are teachers!)so that your child can have the best! Whatever happend to 'every child matters'?



You are the only one who will defend your child and to get the best for him. Your son is unhappy, and that has to stop. There is NO EXCUSE for the way the teacher is behaving, and I honestly feel that your child maybe better of moving to another class, but not another School.



Maybe suggest it as a trial? And if he hasn't already been seen by a educational phycoloigst, it might be an idea, for peace of mind. They are very fair and certainly do not take sides with the school.



Please stand your ground! children aren't children for long and as parents we owe it to them to make their childhood the best possible.



GO FOR IT! Things can't get worse, can they?



Good luck



Sophie
I am having very similar problems with my son. I would not recommend changing him this late in the year though. That would be a significant change at a critical time. It could be disasterous. BUT, go with your gut. I know you want guidance and support but you have to be the best advocate for your child.



Good luck!
You don't say what state your in. I could write a novel about bad teachers and schools. Go with your gut! Don't let anyone negative around your child!! This could affect the rest of his or her life!!! When %26amp; if you change schools or classes have the records sealed this will affect his whole school career! Believe me I have been there. Good luck I wisah I had taken stronger action with my son's 2nd grade teacher this will not end here. Next year if the teacher reads the bad things he percieves about your son they will be influenced and could very well cause your son to be treated unfairly for the next school year it is a snowball effect!! I could go on %26amp; on. Make this your main focus and do not back down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter